Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Why I am not writing so much lately

One of my most annoying shortcomings is I cannot touch type. I have written a volume of work in my life that fills over a gigabyte of hard drive space but I cannot type without looking at the keyboard. I’ve owned three different typing programs in my life and am currently on my fourth. I am writing this paragraph by touch and it is taking forever. I do realize, however, if I am to learn to type I must start writing all the time like this. It might take some getting used to but I am determined to do this even if it slows me down for a while.
I will only learn to type when I stop using my old method of writing so from this point on, until I can get a lot faster my posts are going to read as if I have had a stroke. Don’t look for anything long or profound for a while. Not that I was ever that profound, mind you.
Ella Minnow Pea, by Mark Dunn, is the story of a mythical island where everyone is absorbed with letter writing as opposed to more modern pursuits like television and radio. The people of the island revere the man who invented the sentence “The quick brown dog jumps over the lazy fox.” The people of the island erect a statue in honor of the man and through the years, the man becomes somewhat of a legend. However, one day the letter “A” from the phrase “The quick brown dog jumps over the lazy fox” falls from its place on the statue. Chaos ensues when the ruling counsel declares henceforth the letter A is never to be used again.
More later,
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment