Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Halloween Story (con't)

Honestly, I couldn’t forget her. Each night I would step out into the yard and look up at the stars and wonder where Joan. No one at the party had known her, or where she came from. Everyone seemed to think we were a great couple, and I thought it too. But Summer came and went, deadlines had to be met, the bills had to be paid, Terry got engaged to Norman, they split up, reengaged, and by the time the end of October was creeping up on me, Terry sent an invitation to the party.  

Ron and Debra rebooted the robots and they looked great. Norman was a knight again, and Terry went this time as an angel complete with wings that flapped by themselves. I went as Elvis. I never liked him much; I thought he was overweight, over rated, and over dosed, but I saw an Elvis suit online cheap and had to do it. It came with an Elvis wig with glue down sideburns, I mean, how could I resist? The party was in full swing when I arrived. I wondered how long it would be before Terry started showing. She wasn’t drinking and that wasn’t like her at all. Norman went to a lot of trouble to be nice to me, and I was really very touched by it. He seemed to go out of his way to make Terry happy and it made me feel good to think she had given him some sign our friendship meant something to her.
“Hello Eli,” a woman said, “it’s good to see you again.”
I turned around and there was someone who looked a lot like Marilyn Monroe.



Joan was five foot even, maybe a little taller, and she weighed a hundred pounds soaking wet. This woman was a good five or six inches taller, and twenty pounds heavier. And she looked remarkably like Marilyn Monroe.
“Do I know you?” I asked.
“Isn’t this who you requested nearly a year ago?” She asked.
Did you ever wonder what you would do if you ever really saw a ghost or something like that? I mean, everyone wants to experience something freaky and weird but she it comes right down to it, the average person isn’t ready for anything like that at all.
“Do you know Joan? What happened to her?” I demanded and sure, Joan could have told her about this, but it was the voice.
“I am Joan, Eli, and I’ve missed you, “she said. “It’s hard to explain, but I’ll give you an out if you want. You can either come with me, now, and we can spend some time together, or you can stay here at the party and wonder for the rest for your life what happened to the woman whose photo you still have hanging above you computer monitor. I can’t tell you much, and I won’t promise you anything, but if you thought last year was good, I’ve got thirteen days to kill, and I won’t mind spending them with you.”
“Okay.”

We got some stares leaving but I didn’t care. Elvis and Marilyn together? Why not? It was odd being with her. She was dressed in some sequined out evening gown but she still had the same voice as the woman in the peasant dress. This time she had a suitcase, and had hidden it in the bushes around a tree in Terry’s yard.
“Kinda sure of yourself, aren’t you?” I asked.
“I wasn’t going to stay if we didn’t leave together soon, Eli.” She said. “I’m here to see you, and I don’t have a lot of time to waste.”
She took the evening dress off in the truck as I pulled away from Terry’s house, and she grinned at me.
“Watch the road. Don’t kill us this early in the evening, go east, towards Patterson, then South until you get to State Route 94, and take a left.” She told me.
“Where are we going?”
“To the beach, Fernandina,” she said “I have a house rented for two weeks. Want to stay with me for two weeks, Eli?”
It’s a lonely road, State Route 94, and it’s a place the locals call The Big Empty. There’s twenty miles of road without a house, or a paved side road, or anything at all for that matter. In the twenty minutes it took to get to The Big Empty, I knew this woman was the same woman I was with last year. We picked up on conversation we’d had a year before, and started it again.
“Slow down, turn off the road here, there’s a side road, “ she told me, “yeah, there, I have a blanket.”
It was the same sky. All the stars were in the same place they had been last year, and I watched the shadow of her hand as she traced the constellations for me. It was the same woman. Everything about her was the same except for the fact she looked exactly like Marilyn Monroe.
The sun was coming up so we drove to the house on the beach, and in a pair of jeans and her hair tied back she looked a lot less glamorous but still beautiful.
“This blonde stuff will wash out if you want, Eli” Joan told me, and I still called her Joan. “Or do you prefer blondes?”
“I like redheads, actually.” I told her.
“I was one at one time.” Joan said. “I can be again, if there is a store open.”
“So this is the deal, “I asked.”You’re going to spend the next two weeks with me here, and I’m not going to ask any questions, and you’re going to fall all over yourself making me happy?”
“Yeah, Eli, that’s it.” Joan smiled at me.”Anything you want, everything you want, anytime you want it, and you don’t get to ask me any questions.”
“Tell me your real name.” I asked.
“I couldn’t if I wanted to, and I do want to.”
“Tell me where you’re from.” I asked.
“I couldn’t if I wanted to, and I do want to.”
“What if I held you down and tickled you?” I grabbed her and she offered no resistance.
“What if you held me down and didn’t tickle me?”
The house was in a perfect place and Joan sabotaged the lights surrounding it so there wouldn’t be anything to interfere with the starlight. She seemed to know her way around electricity very well, and there wasn’t anything she couldn’t cook. She knew exactly which store had what she needed, knew where to get a certain wine, and she seemed preoccupied with time.
“You haven’t slept with anyone since we met,” she whispered in the dark, “tell me why.”
“I haven’t had much time.” I told her.
“Time, Eli?” I felt her sit up in the bed. “It’s an amazing thing. You have no idea what it’s like, and I wish you did.”
A week went by, and on the seventh day we walked on the beach until we came to a pier. Joan knew when the original pier had been built, and when it had been washed away by a storm, and when it was rebuilt. I started to ask her how she knew so much about the place and I could tell she didn’t want me to. I was learning. She could, or would, share with me what she could, but there was something holding her back. She had gotten six inches taller in a year, aged fifteen years, and knew the names of all the stars in the sky. Joan wasn’t her real name but she wasn’t able to tell me what it was. Time was running out and I could tell it was hurting her when I tried to get information from her. With a week to go I totally surrendered to the idea this was what it was, and lived for each moment.
She didn’t pack for her last day, but I knew it was here. Joan was incredibly sad, and I was too. I knew not to ask, and I knew she wouldn’t tell me, but I wasn’t going to let her out of my sight, not even for a second. I wondered if there was some sort of cut off time, if she stayed past that point if she would be allowed to stay, or if there was something that might happen, good or bad. I wondered if there would be a flash of light or a puff of smoke. We lay on a blanket on the beach and talked about the stars in the dark and I could feel her beside me.
“Eli, kiss me.”
I kissed her long, slow, and hard, and she kissed me back.
“Take me inside.”
I held her hand until we got to the door, and as I slid the door open I let her hand go, just for an instant, and when I reached for her again, there was no one there.

“You’re two for two the last two parties picking up strange women.” Terry said.
“You’re pregnant.” I told her.
“Yes, and if you had stuck around you would have heard the announcement.” She laughed. “What’s wrong, Eli?” Terry stopped laughing. “My god man, you look depressed.”
“I am.”

It was worse this year. I searched the internet and found every photo I could of Monroe, and each and every one looked like the woman I had spent two weeks with at the beach. The eyes were the same, the curves where the same, and what made it worse was there was a video of Elvis and Marilyn holding hands as they left Terry’s party. I spent each night waiting for a knock on the door, a phone call, anything at all to let me know Joan, or whoever she was, was still alive, or still around, or something, anything. But after a month there was nothing and after two months there was nothing. After Terry’s baby was born in June I decided it was time to stop having a once a year girlfriend. Whatever was going on had to stop because it was making me insane. I didn’t want to say it out loud, I didn’t want to admit it, even to myself, but before I could stop the words from coming out of my mouth I looked up at the photo I had of Joan and said, “I love you.”

October 31st found me in Savannah. I wasn’t going to the party, and I wasn’t going to be home. In two years I had spent two weeks and one night with a woman I knew nothing about and it was driving me mad. A friend of mine had an art show, and I was going to spend the weekend going through the gallery, and maybe spend some time writing on the beach. Cari’s paintings were always colorful and there was one hanging by itself, away from the others that looked like a close up of Jupiter, on LSD. I liked the use of dark red against the milky colors associated with the planet.
“You have to admire her use of the red,” a woman said, “It’s a sign of fearlessness.”
She was a thin red headed woman, and I knew her from somewhere. She was in her late twenties or so, and wore a small green emerald around her neck, and that hung down close to her…
“My god.” I whispered.
“Hello Eli, it’s good to see you again.”
“You…you’re Misses Harrison, my kindergarten teacher.”
“The first woman you had a crush on, when you were five, I’ve read most of what you’ve written.”  Joan laughed.
“How in the hell did you find me?” I asked.
“I have two weeks, Eli, same as last year and I’ll offer you…” Joan started to say but a man started shouting. There was a fight right outside the window and we turned to watch as one man shoved another. The second man pulled a gun and suddenly they were fighting for the gun and it went off. I heard the sound a split second after I felt the pain in my gut.

There was a field of stars, an ocean of stars, a sky so wide it seemed as if it curved back around itself and the stars were as thick as berries in the Summer. I lay on a bed and the entire ceiling was made of stars. The room was the size of a cathedral and the bed sat in the middle of the room. It was like floating in space. A woman entered the room and I watched as she walked over to where I was. She looked young, maybe twenty, and she was pretty. She had long red hair, and was a little lanky.
“Joan?”
“My name is Evelyn Smith, and I was born in Nahunta Georgia, in 1917.” Joan began. “I was one of the first female track athletes in Georgia, and I was a writer. In High School they were talking about the ’36 Olympics but my father wouldn’t hear of it. Instead of college he wanted me to marry the boy next door and have kids like a sensible woman. One night I ran away from home, or I just left, me being nineteen and all. I got lost in the woods, and I didn’t care if they ever found me or not. I really didn’t.”
“What happened?”
“The Spiders came.” Joan said. “They are from a Galaxy in the Arachnid quadrant, so that’s what I call them. They aren’t really spiders at all, and they don’t really have a form, not physically. They made me a deal. I would work for them and in return they would set me back down anywhere I wanted to be.”
“So you’ve been here for…”
“Over ninety years.” She said. “The Spiders are real big on being fair and living up to the word of their contracts. They said if I wrote about my life in Nahunta they would use it to study people. I was given a year to write five hundred thousand words about my life, and they would let me go again.”
“And they’ve kept you this long?” I didn’t like the Spiders already.
“I cheated.” Joan laughed. “I stopped writing one day, and they told me I had to stay until I finished. I wasn’t aging, I had the best view of the universe around, and I liked watching other people. My room, my living quarters, not this place, has five monitors I can watch anyplace on earth I want. I watched my parents grow old and die. I watched most of my friend have kids, and their kids have kids. I watched World War Two and I can tell you, Eli, I really didn’t want to go back, ever.”
“And they let you get away with this?”
“The Spiders kept their promises.” Joan said. “They were going to let me stay until my contact was up. If I never wrote another word I could stay forever. No one had ever found this loophole before. It takes a special type of person to want to do this. They decided I was more useful as an observer. They let me go back to earth two weeks a year, and the rest of the time I watch.”  Joan came and sat beside me. “I’ve been watching you for over two years now, Eli, and so have they.”
“So that’s why you couldn’t tell me anything about yourself?”
“Yeah, it’s part of the programming for the body they let me use. This is the real me, “ she said standing up and spinning around, “and they more or less can build any sort of body I want from any time in history. They’ve been watching us since Earth formed.”
I looked at where there was once a bullet hole in my gut and there wasn’t even a scar now. Joan sat down again and waited for me to speak. It was overwhelming.
“I made a new contract with the Spiders.” Joan finally said.
“Yeah?” I didn’t like the way she sounded.
“They gave me a device that lets me bail off of earth if anything weird happened, and there was a failsafe if I couldn’t use the device. The bullet that hit you hit me, and I grabbed you on the way out. I told them if they saved you I would complete my work, and they could release me if they wanted to do so.”
“Wow”
“And they agreed.”
“You gave this up to save me?” I was stunned.
Joan nodded but she turned her head away from me.
“She cares for you deeply.” Joan turned around, and I knew it was someone else, something else in that body. “I am what she refers to as ‘Spiders’. We are a community, and we would like to keep you here, for a while, and have you write for us what you see on Earth. You will be given such things as you need to survive, and you will not age. The term we offer you is one hundred of your years, and then you will be allowed to return.”
“Where is Joan?”
“She is already back on Earth. You may visit her in one year for two weeks of your time. We have given her all she needs to make a new life, so not worry about her at all. She knew you would agree to this, and she did not want to influence you. She knew you would see this as an opportunity that no one could refuse. We have a few rules for your rerun trips back to earth and you will have to be careful…”

The stars were incredible. In the darkest night with no other light around you have to feel small in front of that many stars. My vision blurred, and even through the tears I was still awed by that much starlight. I walked through the front door of my house and I knew where to find her. She was on my bed, crying, where I had seen her just a few moments ago,
“Hey baby, you okay?” I asked.
“Oh god, Eli, you didn’t, you couldn’t have, dear god you didn’t tell them no, no, no, you didn’t did you?”
“Yeah, I told them no.”
“You could have lived for a hundred years, do you know what you just threw away?” She was sobbing but she was also hanging onto me. “Why? Why?”
“Because I love you.” I said.
“I love you too.” Said Joan, and we went outside with a blanket, to look at the stars.


End

Epilogue:

“I did not see that coming.” One of the Spiders said to another, but they were connected to the common community, and all knew their thoughts.
“None of us thought he would return to her, he was perfect for an Observer,” said the other.
“Let us reconsider the operation,” said the first, “perhaps we could have two observers instead of one.”
“Would they not distract one another?”
“With these two? That is a possibility, but we would have much to gain.”
“Let us be patient. Perhaps we should visit them in a pair of  their years, yes, we ought to offer them a contract, and I know of a perfect time to do it.”
“Oh?”
“We should go as the Blues Brothers.”

3 comments:

  1. This is incredible. I really loved these two parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my favorite story that I have ever written.

      Delete
    2. This is one of my favorites of yours I've read, so far.

      Delete