Friday, September 20, 2013

The Tortured Dog







Back in the 80's my friend Eli stopped a man from beating a dog. Eli took the bat away from the man and from all accounts nearly killed him. Eli then took the dog and that dog died ten years later, still afraid of most people, but still loved to the end.

Sam, my Elder Mutt, was found nearly dead of starvation, dehydration, neglect, abuse, and was hours away from being too far gone to save, but save him we did. That was twelve years ago back in July, and Sam is a Happy Hound, but there are still some times that he fears people.

You have to decide for yourself if you want to go on with this. What I am going to show you next isn't something that you are going to like. It's more horrible than some of the things that Nazis thought up. You have to decide right now how you're going to live from this day forward.



"The injuries cataloged in the post-mortem examination are grotesque and indicate consistent starvation and abuse over an extended period of time," Morrissey said. "It is highly unlikely that this level of sadistic cruelty could be shown to one animal and not be part of a pattern involving other animals or perhaps vulnerable people."
The dog, dubbed Puppy Doe, was found near a playground and hospital in Quincy, but Morrissey pointed out that the person responsible for the abuse does not necessarily live there.
Puppy Doe was estimated to be between 1-2 years old. She weighed about 18 pounds when she should have weighed about 40, according to a rescue league veterinarian.
The post-mortem examination showed evidence of multiple broken bones as well as burns to the nose and stab wounds to the eye.
She also appears to have undergone some kind of crude cutting to create a serpent-like split to her tongue, according to Martha Smith-Blackmore, who performed the necropsy.


Read more: http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/23476025/2013/09/19/authorities-probe-case-of-abused-dog-in-quincy#.UjszbDKl6yo.email#ixzz2fTkBXNuA




I am not suggesting you pick up a baseball bat and go hunting humans. Eli was himself a damaged person, a product of a long ago war that left him deeply scarred and terribly troubled. He is an old man now but there are times he has problems trusting people and such as this is why.


What I want you to do is try. I want you to volunteer at an animal shelter. I want you to join an adoption group. I want you to write letter to your congresspeople and tell them we have to do better, we have to have stronger laws, and we have to end Breed Specific Legislation.  But mostly we have to educate people as to how dogs and cats and other people for that matter, are supposed to be treated.


Whoever did this to one dog will do it to another dog. Whoever does this to dogs will do this to a child. This is a level of evil that cannot be contained or constrained. I will ask you to go get a bat if you find these people, or hell, just call me, I'll do it for you.


But mostly we dog people have to become a tighter community. We have to let our voices be heard as one. We have to let the rest of the world know that we care, we care deeply, we love our dogs and we will not, we cannot, allow this sort of inhumanity to stand without us, all of us, setting up a howl.

Howl with me. That’s what I am asking.


Join a rescue group. Write a letter. Feed a stray. These are things that we can do that will make a difference and it may, it will, prompt other people to join us. We are animal rescue. This is what we do.


Show compassion. Teach humanity. Spread love. This is what dogs do. Someone took that away from a puppy and replaced it with suffering and evil.

For this to happen again all you need to do is nothing.

To stop it, you have to do something. We all do. We all can.


My name is Mike Firesmith and I will no allow this to happen to another dog if I can help it. I will rescue. I will write. And I was save as many dogs as I can and I will help them find a good home and a loving family.

Put your name in that paragraph and see how well it fits. Wake up tomorrow and make it a reality. Do it for those still living with hope for love.

We have to do better because there are people out there doing much worse and we cannot all swing a bat.


Take Care,

Mike






7 comments:

  1. Well said, Mike. I have seen the video posted many times, but can't watch. There is only so much I can do, and I am doing it. But tearing my heart out one more time is just too much. I am still disheartened and angry that Patrick's guardian was given only probation, in part because the judge felt she had been vilified by the Facebook community. Rest well, Puppy Doe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girlwithdogs,
      Until our outrage becomes the new normal we can expect monsters to walk free.

      Delete
  2. You are absolutely right. One thing I would add, if you're looking to get a dog, don't limit yourself to the popular breed of the day. Go to the animal shelter and adopt a dog that's had a bad hand dealt to him/her. Take the dog home and give them such a good life that they forget the rough start they had. Do this and you will never have a better friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's spot on, John. I've got two stays and one rescue with me and have never had a happier family

      Delete
  3. Oh, crap, Mike. It's Tuesday. I'm not supposed to sob on Tuesday. "Girlswithdogs" mentioned probation. Did they find this evil human? AND it was a female?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, that was another story. One not nearly as bad. but plenty terrible. The man who did this to puppy doe is looking at serving about 55 prison and then deportation.

      Delete
    2. Hopefully, inmates view animal abusers the same way they view child abusers.

      Delete