Friday, November 8, 2013

A Deep Breath

In just over twenty-four hours things have settled down considerably here in Hickory Head. Sam, for reasons that escape me completely, was aggressive as hell towards Lucas when he got back. But Lucas diminished is still more than a match for the elderly Sam. My biggest fear was Lucas would rip his stiches out and oh, yeah, kill Sam. Sam’s playbook has just one thing written on every line of his ways-to-react scenarios; aggression.

For those of you with anger issues please take notice that Sam was abused, horribly and systematically abused, when he was a little puppy. Now, twelve years later he still reacts the same way to anything that is different and new. If you find yourself being able to think back at your own life and see this in yourself…


Lillith has resumed the role of Little Angel and Pibble Princess. She tags along behind Lucas and doesn’t rush the door anymore. I’m going to take Lucas and put him in the truck as soon as he’s a little stronger and then we’ll get to train Miss Lillith on how not to react when the Loki Mutt isn’t around. I cannot have her going off the deep end when her Lucas is being moved around for whatever reason, even though I sure do hope that is over for a while. A very, very, long while.


While at the hospital one of the students who were looking after Lucas sat me down and discussed his weight with me. Lucas, at this very moment, tops in at nearly one hundred and twenty pounds, minus what he lost in the last few days, which seems to be three or four pounds. The veterinarian suggested to me that Lucas get down to, are you ready for this, seventy-five pounds. That’s right, Lucas has to lose forty –five pounds. I knew he was chubby but I didn’t think he was that bad off. It was more than a little embarrassing when the surgeon brought it up again later. They told me to give him half a can of wet food a day until he reaches his target weight.

Mostly, Lucas has slept since he’s been back. Yesterday he walked around very slowly with his head down and he kind of shuffled around when he went out. He would follow me but he didn’t go off on his own and I didn’t want him to either. But today he bounded out of the back door and looked around as if he was looking for a trespasser or a squirrel or something to chase. His energy level is still very low but there is a spring in the step of the Loki Mutt once again. His spirits are lifting on an hourly basis. I have my dog back.

Sam has spent today in retreat. He won’t go out with Lucas and I do not understand this because Lucas hasn’t acted with aggression towards Sam. When Lucas and Lillith has gone out Sam has hung back and not gone, and then waited until they were out for a few minutes before he went to the door. I am not sure at all what to make of this except it is very weird.

Lillith is in heaven. I have never seen a dog miss another like she missed Lucas and he seems to delight in being near her.

Tuesday we will get the pathology report back in and if the margins are good we’re reduced to fighting Lucas’ weight problem. I can take a deep breath.

Take Care,

Mike

7 comments:

  1. 75 lbs? The charts say I should weigh 148, (which I haven’t seen since I was 11 years old), but I don’t think that’s possible or healthy. I’d try to get Lucas down to 100, then see how he looks and acts.
    Do you think Sam thought he’d become top dog, (after you of course), only to have it snatched away?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam attacked Lillith earlier this year and she nearly tore his throat out. I think maybe Lucas smelled funny but I wonder. I also agree we will get him down to 100 and see what he looks like before taking it further.

      Delete
  2. Yeah ... and I should weigh in at 110 ... not! Mike, good to read that all seems to be on track. And once again a big, furry and happy family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will sort out the pounds and the puppies in time, Liz!

      Delete
  3. That photo makes my heart sing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't let him lie on top of me now Bits because he is still bleeding a bit!

      Delete
  4. I would think that Sam's aggression came from Lucas' smelling different.
    Also, I would think an big deduction in calories would not be good while he is healing, but then again, I'm not Dr. Melinda from Texas. I'm just glad y'all are all back together again. Things will settle, if they haven't already.

    ReplyDelete