Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Lucas: An Update



I got a call late yesterday and Lucas won’t come home today. Friday seems to be the day of choice right now and not all the problems are medical, I fear. Lucas is bleeding but not bad. He has some issues in not urinating when they walk him and they might have to put in a catheter. He’s never peed before on a leash so I understand that part. Lucas, I fear, just wants to go home. They say Friday. That’s a long time away for us all. The depression has got to be getting to him because it’s getting to the rest of us.

Sam is immune to missing most people and dogs except one woman and me, but he isn’t the same right now. Sam is more needy than ever even though he is getting more attention. Lillith came unglued when I took Lucas from her and she isn’t doing well at all. She seems to think if she acts up enough Lucas will return to make her behave. I’m constantly having to tell her to get down from pawing at the windows and doors. Lillith wants to go looking for Lucas and if I don’t get him back soon I’m afraid she might.

This is as good as it will get until we get Lucas back home. I feel tired all the time and I can’t write anymore. I can’t stand the idea of Lucas thinking he’s been abandoned or he’s being punished or whatever he’s thinking right now. He’s alone in a strange place with people he doesn’t know and no one is telling him the things he’s always been told. No matter how good they treat him there is no way he feels loved like he feels at home.

The people of this world have been good to me and Lucas, very good, much better than I could have ever hoped or dreamed and I am incredible grateful for each and every person who has contacted me in various ways during this time. The one bright spot in all of this is how people are responding to Lucas the Lumpy and I am truly appreciative.

But I just want my dog back at home with his pack right now.

Take Care,

Mike

14 comments:

  1. Man, I feel for you. So many people I have discussed this with replied "It's only a dog. Just put it out of it's misery." Well, they just don't understand the bond between a man and his dog. Or between the dogs, themselves. It seems obvious that your other dogs know something is wrong. How will they react if/when Lucas is gone? I congratulate you for everything you have done for these animals. If only everyone could treat their non-human companions as well as you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rod. That is indeed high praise.

      Delete
  2. It is just a shit situation all round. The good thing is that Lucas will forget it all as soon as he gets back. That boy is resilient!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope you are right, Bitsy! We will see!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Jackie. I have learned those positive thought can take you a very long way.

      Delete
  4. I'm sure that Lucas is waiting for you, and when you see him again, he'll rejoice. This is what people who drop dogs don't understand: that dog will wait for you to come back. Someone dropped a dog in my neighborhood, and that dog stayed right at the stop sign where they left him for WEEKS. Finally a nearby family took him in. This is just to say that Lucas knows you'll come back for him. The pack misses him too, and there will be happy yips when he's home again. ((((((((Hugs to you & the mutts))))))))))
    --Cara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a very long journey, Cara, and the end is not yet in sight.

      Delete
  5. Somehow, I believe that Lucas knows you will be back to take him home because he loves and trusts you. Poor Lillith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what they think when we are gone, Melinda. I only know when we are apart I feel it.

      Delete
  6. I am sending you and your crew warmth and real hugs. I do know exactly what you are going through. As a matter of fact I do not know another soul other than myself who would have expressed it as you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucas is out of your hands for the moment, but the other two are taking their cue from you. So try to chill out and make things as normal as you can for them.

    ReplyDelete