Thursday, November 14, 2013

Margins of Victory



One of the first things someone told me about the surgery is that they had to get all of the cancerous cells. Not just a lot of them, but all of them, and there had to be a “clear margin” around the part they cut out of healthy cells which would mean all the cancer would be contained within.

One of the more depression and damning pieces of information that was in the original pathology report was “Margins are not evident” which meant they would have to cut deeper and wider to make sure the operation was a success.

That was the thing, really. There wasn’t any other. Either/or. No middle ground.

This was the text my local vet, who I think is a saint, sent me this morning: (italics mine)

“Got another fax this morning that is a referral summary. It says that we will receive the history pass tomorrow. I guess They sent it to me early by mistake. It says that the wide margins were achieved. It says in this case long-term survival is a strong possibility. They want to do a repeat CT scan in 3 to 4 months. Great news! See you on the 20th.”

I stared at the message for about five minutes. The UF vet called me and told me there is only a ten percent chance of reoccurrence. This was as good as we could have hoped for and more than I thought we would get.

Lucas will live. I get to keep my dog.

More on another day. I am going to spend some time with my dogs right now.

Thank you, thank you ever so much, everyone, for caring about us,

Mike

16 comments:

  1. Doing the happy dance right now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess that's about the best news you could expect to hear. A battle won.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take it. At least I have him for another year or so, at worst, actually.

      Delete
  3. I know that you are over the moon. "I am going to spend some time with my dogs right now." I say, time well spent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one ever regretted the time they spent with their loved ones, Tex/

      Delete
  4. Damn, now you're going to have to feed him for years. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a risk I am willing to take, Bruce!

      Delete
  5. This has made my day! Brilliant news!! YAY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very happy for you & Lucas! I was offline last night, lost my internet connection. Turns out a squirrel gnawed on the outside line, broke it! Who would have thought that? I was wondering about Lucas, and glad to find out he's better. Woot! -- Cara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Damn those rodents! But this celebration is going to last a while, Cara! Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Congrats, Mike! Yeah Loki Mutt! (Love the nickname!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It fit him when he was a much younger dog, Scoa!

      Delete