Monday, November 2, 2015

Christa: Epilogue




Six months after…

“Hey DeMurrey, I hear you’re leaving us,” the guard said and Larry couldn’t remember his name. The new prison was full of new faces and he couldn’t keep up with everyone’s name anymore.
“Yeah, me and the wife are moving to Florida,” Larry replied. “It’s time to move onto bigger and better things. I got my degree now. I can be a real detective.”
“Your wife’s a dentist?” the man shook his head. “Get out of this business while you still can.”
“It’s something in my blood.” Larry replied truthfully.
“You heard about Timmons?” the man asked.
“Timmons?” Larry knew he was bad at names now. A man whose name he couldn’t remember was asking about another name he couldn’t remember.
“Yeah, the FBI Agent you worked with before the flood.” The man said.
“What?”
“They found him dead up in Montana.” The man replied as he left the locker room. “Suicide. He’s the one that kept trying to find Fuller. He never gave up on that, you know?”
“Yeah?” Larry replied. “I think she drowned.” And Larry never wished for anything to be true like he did that.

Two years, six months later….

 Susan brushed her daughter’s hair while listening out to whatever it was that had made Timmy go silent. A quiet little boy was a little boy making trouble for his mother and Susan silently slipped away from her daughter to find her son contemplating a climb up the drawers of the cabinets to gain the countertop where cookies were cooling.
“You were not, were you?” Susan arched an eyebrow at him and Timmy fled to the safety of the living room where Larry was supposed to be watching him, but had fallen under the spell of a football game. What on earth is he going to be like when he’s big, Susan wondered and she knew, if genetics meant anything, he would be a lot like his father.

Larry’s sister was coming down in the next day or two and all four kids of the cousins would be together for the first time. Debbie was barely two, her brother Timmy nearly five, and Bryce’s two were just a bit older. Susan couldn’t see how Bryce and Larry grew up in the same household but her sister in law still had that heart of gold thing going for her. The tattoos were a bit much for Susan and she fought back the images of Debbie getting inked up like that when she was old enough. It had been since…Susan went through the math in her head, damn, well over a year since she and Larry had a weekend away together. It was time. Whatever else could be said about Bryce, children and dogs loved her. Was it time to get the kids a dog? Susan smiled at the thought. Another child, but in fur.

Destin was as far from Jacksonville Florida, where they had moved over two years ago as any place could be and still be in the state. Susan loved the white beaches and clean water. Larry liked to drink beer and float. They had made a vow of silence, to never speak of certain things, unless it was absolutely certain no one else could hear them. Larry pushed Susan out on a float until they were a hundred yards out or so.
“Are you sure about this?” Larry asked.
“Yes,” Susan replied and put a hand on his shoulder. He was still working out and it was still working. “The kids need to grow up in a smaller town. But not too small, Bryce has a perfect set up and she needs some help. And she has a fenced in backyard.”
“You never let up, do you?” Larry laughed. “Yes, we will get a dog.”
“You’ll like it out west.” Susan told him. “And we need to put some distance between us and the past. I can set up shop anywhere. You can finish your next degree. I need an accountant and we need to be able to explain why we’re, uh, well off.”
“As long as there is beer, and the kids, and you.” Larry sighed.

“And a dog.”


Susan walk along the beach alone. Larry was napping at the hotel after they had feasted on fresh seafood and great wine. She had slipped away unnoticed and she hoped to be back long before he awoke. She cut back up to the hotel with the lighthouse on top of it, and then down a side street, away from the tourists. There was a pink house with a sign out front that read, “Madam Murrey Fortune Teller” and Susan went into the house without knocking.

“Yes, may I…” a small woman with grey hair walked into the room but stopped speaking when she saw Susan. “Who are you?” she asked.
“You’re a psychic and you don’t know who I am?” Susan laughed bitterly. “Yet I found you.”
“I knew you would come one day, Susan.” Christa said as she sat down across the table from Susan. “You were one of the few people I could never see. I thought that was perhaps because you could see me. I was right.”
“Your vision was derived from death, my own from childbirth,” Susan said, “and no, Larry doesn’t know where I am, or where you are.”
“What do you want?” Christa asked.
“I have something for you.” Susan slid a large envelope across the table. “There’s fifty grand in there. I recommend some place outside of the states.”
“I understand.” Christa said but she didn’t pick the envelope up.
“You were already out of that cell before the dam broke, weren’t you?” Susan grinned. “You conned Timmons into helping you get out right before all hell broke loose. Once the power was down and the walls fell you two just walked right out of the front door.”
“The more simple a plan is the better chance there is that it will work.” Christa smiled. “You of all people should know that.”
 “I know that the further away you are the safer my family will be.” Susan said bluntly.
“Then why not turn me in?” Christa asked. “Why not collect the reward money?”
“You still know that Larry and I killed someone.” Susan said as she stood up. “That will hang over our heads forever and I won’t risk my kids to see you put to sleep like an ailing pet.” Susan hesitated. “Why did you never have kids, Christa?”
“The abuse from my stepfather damaged me.” Christa told her.
“You wanted to, didn’t you?” Susan pressed.
“Yes,” Christa looked away, “your vision is clear.”
“Yeah, I thought so,” Susan walked to the door and turned around, “and that too, I think you’re a product of how men treat women, and I can’t say I condone what you do or what you’ve done or what you will do, but maybe one day you’ll make someone think about it.”
“I still have no idea why I cannot see you and you can me.” Christa said.
“Leave the country.” Susan replied. “And you’ll never have to worry about seeing me again. If you don’t I’ll take it as a threat.”
“I already know you are capable of killing, Susan, and I know he will kill for you, and I know the two of you would blot me out of this world with less care than you did for your lover.” Christa opened the envelope and smiled. “I will leave the two of you alone, and I will go to Mexico.”
“Are you capable of not killing?” Susan asked.
“No.” Christa whispered.
“Good bye.” Susan said as she walked out of the house and closed the door behind her.

Susan walked back to the beach and looked behind her. She felt as if Christa was going to follow her, or harm her, she would know. Susan closed her eyes and allowed the world to flow around her. She waded out into the water and sat down in the clear sea. One more, she thought, a boy, a girl, and a surprise, this time, she wouldn’t look, but she had stop taking the pill over a month ago. Here, in this place, at this time, she would conceive once more, for the last time. Her vision cleared and she saw a small woman, with grey hair and her back bent, passing into Mexico where she would lose her aged appearance, and once again, hunt.

Susan stood up and walked back to the hotel room and woke her husband up. “Get me pregnant,” she said.



end

3 comments:

  1. I wasn't expecting this, at least not so soon! I like this, and I do feel more closure now. Most all I've been reading offline lately are select rock star autobiographies and similar, maybe I should change that up soon.

    I still think the story is one that would be expanded very well. That just says how much I enjoyed it. Thank you, Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I love to twist and turn a story and let the reader be surprised. It would be interesting to see the story wander to where the CIA or someone asked Larry and Susan to help hunt Christa, but they both know they can't really do that. Meanwhile, Christa cuts a swath through Aztec land.

      Delete
  2. Hmm... that changes everything. The unknown is now known. The loving couple should now be if not secure, at least more secure. But Susan has broken the deal, the pact to share everything and do everything as a coordinated team. There’s no turning back, secrets are like wheel weights, the team is unbalance, it has to wobble at speed.

    ReplyDelete