Tuesday, January 26, 2016

I, Vegan.

Three bean Vegan Chili with Jicama over Brown Rice


Okay, it’s time for me to come out of the pantry; I am Vegan. This is likely a surprise to anyone who has known me for a while but not likely a surprise to anyone who has known me well. I like animals. I am discouraged by the way human beings treat animals. And it’s a little hypocritical of me to tell people to love dogs and cats and horses and snakes but to eat cows and chickens and pigs and fish. So I’m quitting the carnivore thing.


Now, I know there has been enough collective eye rolling out there to whack the earth out of its rotation but I want to make sure everyone understand something:  I’m doing Vegan different. I’ve met those Vegans that you hate. I promise not to be one of them. I’m not treating this like a religion or a cult or anything like that. I consider myself a man on a journey and the first part of that journey is not eating meat. My belt, the one I’ve owned for about ten years now, is leather. I’m not throwing it away.

Before we go any further let me toss a few idea out at you and see how they feel to you. The first is the unchecked population growth of human beings on this planet. If we are to continue to be carnivorous that means there has to be more and more animals killed to support our appetite and that means more and more farmland to feed those animals we’ll kill and that means less and less rainforest, swamps, and other green areas. The next thing is to look at what we’re putting into animals to make them turn into food. Antibiotics, growth hormones, and a host of other drugs that not only get passed on to us, but to our children too. Have you noticed how early girls are turning into young women these days? Do you really want to know what’s in milk?

The conditions that animals are kept in before we kill them so we can eat them are deplorable. If  your meat was slaughtered in a room night next to where you were eating you wouldn’t be able to finish your meal. At some point in time we have to start wondering about our cultural ethics if we can ignore what happens before a hotdog hits the grill.

You really do not want to know what’s in a hotdog, or how it came to be, do you?

So this leaves me no other choice but to opt out of being a carnivore. Yes, I can see coming the arguments that there are other things I do that are bad for the earth as a whole, and bad for me as an individual, but everyone, each one of us, has to start somewhere, I would hope, and this is where I begin.

No, I have no idea where this will lead or if I can pull it off. But I’ve gotten off to a very good start and right now there’s some Vegan recipes and are truly tasty. I’ve managed to eat tofu only twice in three months, so don’t start with that, please.

I’ll start posting Vegan recipes and propaganda, I mean information, soon.

Take Care,

Mike

20 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I’m not treating this like a religion or a cult or anything like that."

    That's when it becomes a problem, when people preach to and/or attempt to convert, others to the personal philosophy they have chosen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come to the Green Side Bruce, we have whole wheat, gluten free, free trade, non dairy, GMO free, cookies.

      Hmmmm, got to work on that catch phrase a bit.

      Delete
  3. Knowing your love of animals, I'm not surprised. I know others that feel similar, though mostly about cats.

    I don't think I could be vegan or vegetarian myself. We just ordered a quarter cow so I hope I don't have a change of heart anytime soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the mistake a lot of Vegans make is thinking they can shame people into making a lifestyle choice. Your life is yours to evolve as you see fit. I don't think just because I'm doing something anyone else ought to feel bad about not doing it.

      It took me a very long time to get here. It took you an equal part of your life to arrive where you are.

      That's pretty much the way things will always be and have always been.

      I'm a cat person and a dog person. Some people find that to be a contradiction, but to me, it is natural.

      Delete
  4. I admire anyone who truly believes in their convictions and undertakes a lifestyle for the betterment of self and of mankind and refuses the easy seat on the bandwagon. We need less preachers and proselytizers in this world of ours. But I truly believe some of us can make our world a better place without being vegan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with that, Tex. At the same time, how and who we are eating affects the earth on a daily basis.

      This has been an interesting journey so far. I've discovered a lot of very strange and different, but tasty, foods I had never knew of before. It's like being a foreigner in my own kitchen.

      Delete
    2. I have a couple of questions. As I recall, you went vegetarian a couple of times before. What's the difference between that and veganism (or is it veganarian)? Aside from the leather belt and wool socks thing, I mean. (PS-I've known of no Lambchop who lost her life giving up her wool to keep people's feet warm.)
      And second, I've read where Vegan's believe it is wrong to keep animals as pets. What's up with that?

      Delete
    3. Melinda, Vegans differ from Vegetarians in Vegans use no animals products at all. No milk, no butter, and some vegetarians even eat seafood.

      While no lamb ever died from being sheared the practice is still done in a very inhumane way that tears the skin off the animals as well as the wool.

      There are various degrees of Vegan. Some eschew any and all forms of animal products and some won't keep dogs or cats or any animals as pets. There are even those who think we should eliminate dogs and cats entirely. I'm not one of those, clearly.

      I think anything taken to extremes is a bad idea.

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    5. I never said vegans are crazy nor do I believe them to be. I also do not believe vegans are part of a cult, that is unless any of them also happen to be part of the Manson family or Scientology, then I reserve the right to change my mind.
      I asked Mike questions about veganism in a follow up comment and he answered in a way as I expected he would. I never questioned why he is vegan. And I certainly did not question why you are. Additionally, his essay was not about why others are vegan or not.
      Just in case you missed my initial comment above, I will reiterate it: “I admire anyone who truly believes in their convictions and undertakes a lifestyle for the betterment of self and of mankind and refuses the easy seat on the bandwagon. We need less preachers and proselytizers in this world of ours. But I truly believe some of us can make our world a better place without being vegan.”
      That being said, you are not going to change my mind with regard to my lifestyle in this forum anymore than I am going to change yours. And taking it one step further, while I appreciate your beliefs and why you hold them sacred, I do not wish to get into a debate with anyone on Michael’s blog.

      Delete
    6. Bravo, Melinda!

      I did not see her second comment here, but I can reasonably guess from your response.

      Delete
    7. Bravo, Melinda!

      I did not see her second comment here, but I can reasonably guess from your response.

      Delete
    8. I will not repeat what she wrote, Scoakat. Only she can do that. But I can say that I am very saddened by the fact that she felt the need to delete both of her comments. They were not in the least offensive, at least not to me, and I have much respect for anyone who is so passionate of their beliefs that they will stand their ground to the very end to defend them, especially if those beliefs are not the most popular in the schoolyard.

      Delete
    9. Melinda I deleted my comment because the truth is I dont want to argue and I dont have to defend myself as I know Im doing the right thing not only for me but Im doing it for you too ... You see, Im trying to save your planet, our planet... you can thank me later.

      I cant remember everything I wrote but it was something like this.

      If you could live a healthy happy life without harming others, why wouldn't you?... if you can make a better tomorrow for future generations on this planet, why wouldn't you?... The consumption of meat and animal products is destroying our beautiful planet, the only planet we have... Is also destroying our health... and the pain and suffering this animals go through before their death is beyond anything you can imaging...
      Vegans save 1000's of animals everyday and the only thing we do is change the way we eat... that simple... Is easier than you think...
      So dont ask me why Am I Vegan? ask yourself why you are not...
      Veganism is Compassion, love and equality... This is a revolution you want to be on... Ask me how, I will help you.

      Now I will be gone and I will not come back to this blog, there is so many other blogs that are so much better and I already hooked to them...

      Peace and love Earthlinks...

      Delete
  5. Can I not sleep at night without some FB type drama following me here? What happened?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no drama to see here, Mike. You may move along. ;-)

      Delete
    2. I'm going to have to start staying up later just to keep the peace around here.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete